Re: checked RDF semantics for XSD stuff, couldn't grok namespace entailment

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:43:12 +0200
To: "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

> Well, prf:Numbers aren't specified by the RDF specs.
> Plain literals are.

But xsd:string's aren't. So why should we say anything about
them or their presumed relation to plain literals?

(charter references to XML Schema datatypes withstanding)

> It's not for RDF to say how its own syntax (plain literals)
> works with XML Schema datatypes?
>
> I disagree. Our charter includes...
>
> "RDF Schema must use and build upon XML Schema datatypes to the fullest
> extent that is practical and appropriate."
>  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCoreWGCharter
>
> I find it practical and appropriate to use XML Schema datatypes
> in this case.

Note the qualification "that is practical and appropriate". I believe
we have satisfied the charter without necessitating hard dependencies
between RDF and XML Schema.

> > So my recommendation is to say nothing at all about any relationship
> > with xsd:string and plain literals in the RDF specs (and this is not
> > the same as leaving it an open issue -- as it will/should be addressed
> > in a separate Note addressing such XML Schema related issues).
> >
> > It's enough to be clear what plain literals are, so that one can
> > be clear and precise about their possible relationship to particular
> > datatypes such as xsd:string and others. The actual relationships are
> > out of scope.
> >
> > I expect/hope that Dan, and others, would be satisfied with that.
> >
> > Yes?
>
> No.

I guess that calls for a vote, as this is not, I think, up to editorial
discretion.

Patrick