Re: Semantics doc now in shadow TR space

Concerning:  http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF_Semantics_finalCall_2.html

At 03:12 PM 12/15/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>Datatype clashes are the only inconsistencies recognized by this model
>theory. The definition of entailment means that a D-inconsistent graph
>D-entails any RDF graph; however, it will usually not be appropriate to
>consider such 'trivial' entailments as useful consequences, since they are
>not valid rdf- or rdfs- entailments.

I'm puzzled by the use of "inconsistency" here .. my understanding is that
technically, the concept of consistency depends on negation, which is not
recognized in RDF.

[From Metalogic, Geoffrey Hunter:
"A system S is Simply Consistent iff for no formula A of S are both A and
the negation of A theorems of S."  He then goes on to define absolute
consistency for systems with the possibility to express negation of any
formula.]

My take on this had been that a D-inconsistent graph is unsatisfiable.

Ah, I see you're using a different definition of inconsistency
(http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF_Semantics_finalCall_2.html#glossInconsistent).
So my comment becomes simply:  your definition of inconsistency seems to
be, er, "inconsistent" with some other published definitions.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>