Re: concepts: strings are plain literals

At 04:54 PM 12/13/02 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:

>Taking a fine-tooth comb to the connection
>between the semantics document and the
>schema spec, I followed a link and found
>
>"*  A plain literal is a string combined with an optional language
>identifier."
>
>in
>
>2.3.4 Literals
>http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/
>
>We're changing that to
>
>* A plain literal is either a string
>or a string paired with a language
>identifier.
>
>or
>
>* plain literals are the union
>of strings with (string, language
>identifier) pairs.
>
>no?
>
>Darn it, it's still there in
>

>http://sealpc09.cnuce.cnr.it/jeremy/RDF-concepts/20021121/Overview.html#section-Literals
>Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:50:34 GMT

Speaking for myself, I'm not quite sure about the exact difference you're
concerned with, and have no problem with your wording, which does seems to
capture the formal structure more closely.   Of the two forms you offer, I
prefer the first as saying the same thing in less technical terms.

Jeremy?

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>