Re: semantics doc updated for editorial freeze(?)

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:08:25 +0200
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

> PS. I havn't (yet) included an appendix based on Patrick's XSD
> ontology, but I could easily put it in if the WG thinks it is worth
> having in there, maybe marked 'informative' (?). It seems a shame to
> waste it :-)

I think it would be useful to provide, in that it at least captures
the (apparently) non-controversial relations between the XML Schema
datatypes.

I'd also love to see an extended version including Jeremy's noted
additional relations, e.g. xsd:unsignedInt rdfs:subClassOf xsd:long,
though with perhaps a caveat that some may interpret the XML Schema
specification in a way that would preclude those additional relations,
etc.

As an exercise, a stab at the extended version is attached ;-)

In short, the following are added to the earlier schema:

   xsd:base64Binary rdfs:subClassOf xsd:hexBinary .
   xsd:hexBinary rdfs:subClassOf xsd:base64Binary .

   xsd:Name rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NMTOKEN .

   xsd:IDREFS rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NMTOKENS .
   xsd:IDREFS rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ENTITIES.
   xsd:ENTITIES rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NMTOKENS .
   xsd:ENTITIES rdfs:subClassOf xsd:IDREFS .

   xsd:anyURI rdfs:subClassOf xsd:token .

   xsd:NCName rdfs:subClassOf xsd:anyURI .

   xsd:NCName rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ENTITY .
   xsd:NCName rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ID .
   xsd:NCName rdfs:subClassOf xsd:IDREF .

   xsd:ID rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ENTITY .
   xsd:ID rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NCName .
   xsd:ID rdfs:subClassOf xsd:IDREF .

   xsd:IDREF rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ENTITY .
   xsd:IDREF rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ID .
   xsd:IDREF rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NCName .

   xsd:ENTITY rdfs:subClassOf xsd:IDREF .
   xsd:ENTITY rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ID .
   xsd:ENTITY rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NCName .

   xsd:language rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ID .
   xsd:language rdfs:subClassOf xsd:IDREF .
   xsd:language rdfs:subClassOf xsd:ENTITY .

   xsd:QName rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NOTATION .
   xsd:NOTATION rdfs:subClassOf xsd:QName .

The following are omitted, as they are all implicit in
other subClassOf relations:

   xsd:ID rdfs:subClassOf xsd:anyURI .
   xsd:IDREF rdfs:subClassOf xsd:anyURI .
   xsd:ENTITY rdfs:subClassOf xsd:anyURI .
   xsd:language rdfs:subClassOf xsd:NCName .
   xsd:language rdfs:subClassOf xsd:token .

Though if/how/where/when it is published is not an easy question to answer...

Patrick