W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org > April 2002

Minutes 2002-04-09

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:34:39 +0100
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <CEECKEAMDAJDDEDGJNBEEECGCAAA.jjc@hpl.hp.com>

I am sorry this is so late.
I forgot!
(We might need to delay approval until next week).

BRIAN, PAT: note action 19,20,21 (yours and mine) below which Jema lost.

Decision 6 was not scribed correctly, and hence not in Jema

============


Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0285.html

IRC Log:
http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfcore/2002-04-19

Jema action/decision summary:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0332.html

Scribe:
Jeremy Carroll

Executive Summary:

Decisions:

1:  Triples should be represented using correct n-triples
2:  close rdfs-online-char-encoding
3:  rdfs-container-membership-superProperty: there will be one
4:  rdfs-constraining-containers is out-of-scope and closed
5:  rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property, legal, in MT, closed.
6:  Do not publish Datatyping WD at this time.

>Jema noted the following actions during RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-04-19
>
>2002-04-19#1:  frankm sync up with eric concerning primer
>2002-04-19#2:  danb review primer, specifically schema stuff
>2002-04-19#3:  martyn review current primer
>2002-04-19#4:  pat provide MT WD for wg review
>2002-04-19#5:  jang review schema WD
>2002-04-19#6:  aaron review schema WD
>2002-04-19#7:  frank review schema WD
>2002-04-19#8:  jos review schema WD
>2002-04-19#9:  danb make schema WD available on Monday
>2002-04-19#10:  jan have test cases WD to review for Monday
>2002-04-19#11:  jeremy review test cases WD
>2002-04-19#12:  jos review test cases WD
>2002-04-19#13:  bwm propose how we move forward with datatyping
>2002-04-19#14:  danc do entailement test case for container with
rdfs:contains
>2002-04-19#15:  danbri propose name for container-membership-superProperty
>2002-04-19#16:  danbri review effect _NNN-superProperty on primer
>2002-04-19#17:  pat respond helpfully to rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property raiser
>2002-04-19#18:  jan produce test case for rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property

The following actions were lost by Jema, but still in IRC log.
2002-04-19#19: brian accept chance to review charmod
2002-04-19#20: jjc review charmod by 31st May
2002-04-19#21: path review charmod by 31st May


(Exact wording of decisions:
>1:  Triples should be represented using correct n-triples
>2:  close rdfs-online-char-encoding
>3:  resolve that there will be common superproperty
>4:  agreed propsoal in agenda 15
>5:  agree resolution in agenda item 16
)

DETAIL
======

* 1: Allocate scribe
jjc (first bit gk)

* 2: Roll Call

Present:
  Martin Horner
  Frank Manola
  Aaron Swartz
  Patrick Stickler
  Jos De Roo
  Graham Klyne
  Dan Connolly
  Jan Grant
  Ron Daniel
  Brian McBride
  Jeremy Carroll

Regrets:
  Steve Petschulat
  Dave Beckett
  Mike Dean
  Eric Miller

* 3: Introduce Observers

HP Observers:
- Andy Seaborne and three students: Alex, Olu, Tim.

* 4: Review Agenda
* 5: Next telecon 10am Boston time, 26 Apr 2002
* 6: Review Minutes of 2002-04-12

* See:
*  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0166.html

Approved after brief discussion.

* 7: Confirm Status of Completed Actions

Confirmed:
[[[

ACTION: 2002-04-05#4 Brian
sort out who will write text for updating test cases wd

ACTION: 2002-04-12#5 aaron
write up datatyping use-case for Dublin Core

see:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0168.html

ACTION: 2002-04-12#7 jjc
post message to rdfcore with motivating example for dark triples?

see:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0178.html

]]]

* 8: outstanding issues
(See agenda for list)

* 9: Review of CharMod last call #2

2002-04-19#19: brian accept chance to review charmod
2002-04-19#20: jjc review charmod by 31st May
2002-04-19#21: path review charmod by 31st May

Strong preference for review to be significantly earlier.

* 10: Schedule and document status

* Primer

>2002-04-19#1:  frankm sync up with eric concerning primer
>2002-04-19#2:  danb review primer, specifically schema stuff
>2002-04-19#3:  martyn review current primer

Generally favourable comments have been made.


* Syntax
No discussion.

* Model Theory

>2002-04-19#4:  pat provide MT WD for wg review

By 26th April?
The next WD should be the one before last call.

* Schema

>2002-04-19#5:  jang review schema WD
>2002-04-19#6:  aaron review schema WD
>2002-04-19#7:  frank review schema WD
>2002-04-19#8:  jos review schema WD
>2002-04-19#9:  danb make schema WD available on Monday

Last call schedule unclear.
Friday 26th is last date for us to approve WD before
publishing moratorium in May.

* Test cases

>2002-04-19#10:  jan have test cases WD to review for Monday
>2002-04-19#11:  jeremy review test cases WD
>2002-04-19#12:  jos review test cases WD

* F2F in June:
* Does the WG believe it would be good to meet,

Yes it does.


* 11: How to represent triples in documents.

DECISION 1:
Triples should be represented using correct n-triples.

* 12: Datatyping WD
* Is this document ready for first publication?  Are the editors agreed?

The editors are not agreed.

DECISION 6:
Do not publish Datatyping WD at this time.

>2002-04-19#13:  bwm propose how we move forward with datatyping

* 13: Issue: rdfs-online-char-encoding
* Propose:
* o action Eric to update the schema file with the appropriate character
    encoding declaration
* o close this issue

Hasty looking at file.
It seems to be OK.

DECISION 2:
Close rdfs-online-char-encoding.

* 14: Issue: rdfs-container-membership-superProperty

DECISION 3:
rdfs-container-membership-superProperty: there will be one.

Discussion included:
- entailment works one but not the other.
>2002-04-19#14:  danc do entailement test case for container with
rdfs:contains
- rdf:member or rdf:contains
>2002-04-19#15:  danbri propose name for container-membership-superProperty
>2002-04-19#16:  danbri review effect _NNN-superProperty on primer

* 15: Issue: rdfs-constraining-containers
[[[
Propose:

  o the WG resolves that expressing such a constraint is beyond the
    scope of RDFS.  Such functionality belongs with more powerful
    ontology languages such as daml+oil and owl.

  o The WG notes that DAML+OIL can express this constraint as described in:

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0106.html

  o The WG closes this issue
]]]

DECISION 4:  proposal agreed.

16: Issue: rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property
[[[
Propose the WG resolves:

  o an instance of the Property class may have an rdfs:subClassOf
    property

  o the meaning of such a property is defined by the model theory

  o this issue be closed
]]]
DECISION 5: proposal agreed.

Discussion that resolution is unhelpful.

>2002-04-19#17:  pat respond helpfully to rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property raiser
>2002-04-19#18:  jan produce test case for rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property

* 17: daml:collection
Small amount of discussion but time runs out.

Meeting adjourned.

* 18: Issue: rdf-charmod-resources
Not reached.

* 19: Suggest after hours discussion of dark triples
Suggestion was followed (profitably!).
Received on Thursday, 25 April 2002 05:35:15 EDT

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Wednesday, 3 September 2003 09:47:36 EDT