Re: Missing support for datatype property idiom in datatyping MT?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:21:14 -0500
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Should the datatyping MT include the following, to specify the
>interpretation of the blank node and literal for the datatype
>property idiom?
>For any literal "LLL", if E contains the triples
>    <ddd, rdf:type, rdfd:datatype>
>    <bbb, aaa, ccc>
>    <ccc, ddd, "LLL">

Is this the new Ntriples notation? (Did I miss something?)

>then I(ccc) = L2V(I(ddd))("LLL") is defined

I think the best way to do this would be to say that there just is a
notion of a datatype, that L2V is always defined on datatypes (both
being global semantic assumptions) and the semantic condition on
rdfd:datatype is that ICEXT(I(rdfd:datatype)) contains only
datatypes. Then the rest follows from this. That would be preferable
to imposing an extra semantic condition onto rdf:type.

The corresponding API would be that whenever it finds or concludes a
triple of the form

ddd rdf:type rdfd:datatype .

a datatyping RDF engine ought to take the uriref <ddd> and try to
find its datatyping specification in some usable form, and complain
if it can't find it.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax