Re: Missing support for datatype property idiom in datatyping MT?

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:33:47 +0300
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-04-18 0:21, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

>> Pat,
>>
>> Should the datatyping MT include the following, to specify the
>> interpretation of the blank node and literal for the datatype
>> property idiom?
>>
>> For any literal "LLL", if E contains the triples
>>
>>    <ddd, rdf:type, rdfd:datatype>
>>    <bbb, aaa, ccc>
>>    <ccc, ddd, "LLL">
>
> Is this the new Ntriples notation? (Did I miss something?)
>
>> then I(ccc) = L2V(I(ddd))("LLL") is defined
>>
>> ???
>
> I think the best way to do this would be to say that there just is a
> notion of a datatype, that L2V is always defined on datatypes (both
> being global semantic assumptions) and the semantic condition on
> rdfd:datatype is that ICEXT(I(rdfd:datatype)) contains only
> datatypes. Then the rest follows from this. That would be preferable
> to imposing an extra semantic condition onto rdf:type.

I don't see how you are adding any semantics to rdf:type. You are
simply saying that ddd is a member of the class rdfd:Datatype,
and we've defined what the properties must be for all members of
that class, namely a lexical space, a value space, a lexical
to value mapping, etc. etc.

> The corresponding API would be that whenever it finds or concludes a
> triple of the form
>
> ddd rdf:type rdfd:datatype .
>
> a datatyping RDF engine ought to take the uriref <ddd> and try to
> find its datatyping specification in some usable form, and complain
> if it can't find it.

This is all true, but... that's not actually what I was asking ;-)

Rather, do we need a rule that assigns the datatype value
to the bnode of the datatype property idiom? Defintion 4 does this
for the lexical form idiom. It seems that there should be
an analogous MT definition for the datatype property idiom.

Eh?

Patrick