Re: containers: primer material

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:05:20 +0100
To: fmanola@mitre.org
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 11:38 AM 4/16/02 -0400, Frank Manola wrote:
>I certainly agree that we haven't clarified them!  Unfortunately,
>decisions not to formalize things, or not to clarify things, go against
>the general spirit of a Primer, the job of which *is* to clarify
>things.  What I'd like to do is clarify what things you can generally do
>with containers, and also either clarify what questions are undecided or
>unspecified, or (preferably) avoid getting into them.  However (also
>unfortunately), it's hard to avoid getting into bear traps if it's
>unclear where they are!

Unlike the formal specification, I don't think the primer needs to explore
every nook and cranny, to describe every edge condition.  I would expect
the primer to follow a kind of 80-20 rule:  to explain clearly how to use
the 20% of RDF that achieves 80% of the desired results.  (Or substitute
your own preferred non-zero values for 80 and 20.)

In this case, I think it's reasonable to recommend that only one of the
container types be applied to any given resource, without being dogmatic
about it.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>