RDF Datatypes: proposal for abstract

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:10:14 +0100
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
I'd like to offer the following proposal for the RDF datatyping
abstract.  The key points I'm aiming for here are:
1. intro to RDF, importance for application information exchange
2. interpretation of literal strings in RDF
3. datatyping builds upon the RDF model theory

I think any more, or attempt at explanation here, is distracting and unhelpful.

The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
information in the World Wide Web, with a particular goal of meaningful
data exchange between applications.  RDF uses URI-references and literal
strings to denote things described;  interpretation of URIs is covered by
the RDF Model Theory.

This memo describes a framework for use and interpretation of literal
strings in RDF, by reference to a concept of well known "datatypes", which
map strings to values.  It builds upon the semantic framework described in
the RDF Model Theory.

Graham Klyne