RDF datatyping, section 2.1

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:21:12 +0100
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
[c.f. version 11-Apr-2002,  I'm dipping into the spec in pieces, so some of
my comments are coming piecemeal.]

Section 2.1:
I think the second sentence of section 2.1 should be stated more
positively; e.g.

A datatype defines a mapping from literal strings to corresponding values.
XML schema defines a number of datatypes that are usefully employed with RDF
(numbers, dates, etc.).  The RDF datatyping framework supports the use of
these datatypes, and any additional ones that may be defined.

Section 2.1.1:
The first paragraph has key concepts:  I suggest setting them out as a list
to make them more visible.

Do the concepts of "canonical lexical space" and "canonical mapping" really
have any impact in the datatyping framework?  I don't see that they do, and
therefore that they don't need to be described in the RDF core datatyping
framework.  The three key concepts that serve my understanding are:
- lexical space
- value space
- mapping fromn lexical to value space

If "canonical" representations are significant, then I would prefer to see
them dealt with separately from these core concepts - in a separate section

Graham Klyne