W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org > April 2002

RDFCore WG minutes for the Telecon 2002-04-12

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:26:12 +0100
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20020412172428.03b7cec0@joy.songbird.com>
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
RDFCore WG minutes for the Telecon 2002-04-12

10:00:00 Fri Apr 12 2002 in America/New York
15:00:00 Fri Apr 12 2002 in Europe/London
Phone: +1-617-761-6200 (Zakim)#7332
irc: irc.w3.org #rdfcore

Transcript:
   [IRC log attached]

Agenda:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0127.html


1: Allocate scribe:  Graham Klyne


2: Roll call

Participants:
    - Aaron Swartz
    - Brian McBride (chair)
    - Daniel Brickley
    - Dave Beckett
    - Eric Miller
    - Frank Manola
    - Graham Klyne
    - Jeremey Carroll
    - Jos De Roo
    - Patrick Stickler
    - Ron Daniels
    - Jan Grant

Regrets:
    - Dan Connolly
    - Stephen Petschulat
    - Martyn Horner

Absent:
    - Mike Dean
    - Pat Hayes
    - Sergey Melnik
    - Bill dehOra
    - Frank Boumphrey
    - Guha
    - KWON Hyung-Jin
    - Michael Kopchenov
    - Ora Lassila
    - Pierre G Richard
    - Rael Dornfest
    - Satoshi Nakamura
    - Yoshiyuki Kitahara


3: Review Agenda

No AOB.

Datatypes to be discussed at item 9.


4: Next telecon 10am Boston time, 19 Apr 2002


5: Review Minutes of 2002-03-22

See:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0112.html

There were two comments concerning actions recorded as completed, both of 
which have since been resolved as completed.

With these noted, the minutes are approved.


6: Confirm Status of Completed Actions

ACTION: 2001-11-30#4 Dave Beckett
Create test cases covering reserved use of rdf names in this proposal.
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0043.html
-- DaveB noted this is ongoing.  The meeting agreed to close the action.


ACTION: 2002-02-15#4 PatH
Send a few paragraphs to the list to address rdfms-seq-representation
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0063.html

ACTION: 2002-02-15#6 PatH
Draft something on contexts for the WG to consider in order to indicate to 
others our position
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Mar/0253.html

ACTION: 2002-03-15#1  EricM
drive publication process for primer WD

ACTION: 2002-03-15#12 Jeremy
raise a comment on xquery/xpath about cannonicalization corner case on 
behalf of rdfcore
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-query-comments/2002Apr/0013.html

ACTION: 2002-03-22#4 jeremy
Send mailto:uri@w3.org with appropriate tests and explanation, explaining 
how we interpreted RFC2396 and xml base
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2002Apr/0025.html

ACTION: 2002-04-05#1 Aaron
submit mime type registration internet draft
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0073.html

ACTION: 2002-04-05#3 bwm
update the issue list close the mime type issue

ACTION: 2002-04-05#6 DaveB
put together test cases for rdfms-xmllang
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0060.html

ACTION: 2002-04-05#8 DaveB
add rdfms-abouteach to the names-test to make it illegal
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0061.html

ACTION: 2002-04-05#10 Brian
update test cases with comments to explain errors

ACTION: 2002-04-05#11 Jos
ping pat, danc to look at rdfs-subPropertyOf-semantics tests
see:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0057.html


7: Confirm Status of Withdrawn Actions

ACTION: 2002-02-15#5 PatH, Graham
draft some appropriate words on the nature of assertions

ACTION: 2002-02-26#4 bwm
Contact Pat re effects of literals decision on model theory

ACTION: 2002-03-15#8 PatH
integrate Pat'S XML examples into the datatypes document

ACTION: 2002-03-15#9 PatH
remove references to octal, different language representation of numbers 
from datatypes document

ACTION: 2002-04-05#12 jjc
to discuss at webont f2f the end-marker container suggetstion for closing 
collections
-- [[[Wasn't this action completed rather than wiothdrawn???]]]


8: outstanding issues

This is a reminder of what work we have yet to do.
The list is getting shorter:

rdfs-xml-schema-datatypes
rdfms-contexts
rdfms-seq-representation
rdf-charmod-uris
rdfs-constraining-containers
rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property
rdfs-online-char-encoding
rdfs-clarify-subClass-and-instance
rdfs-isDefinedBy-semantics
rdfs-container-membership-superProperty
rdfs-editorial
faq-html-compliance


9: Schedule and document status

-- Primer
Current document is 1st issue.  A 2nd issue should be released for WG 
approval at the 2002-04-19 telecon, but may slip.  3rd issue should be for 
last call.

RonD has some material to provide, but may not be ready until 2002-04-19.

ACTION 2002-04-12#1, FrankM: provide bwm with schedule for primer to last call

-- Syntax
Appears to be on track, unless requests from WebOnt or review of MIME type 
registration raise any difficult issues.

-- Model Theory
jjc notes that model theory and syntax docs should be reviewed against the 
original M&S.

ACTION 2002-04-12#2, bwm: figure when this review fits in schedule (before 
or after last call?)

-- Schema
Not as much progress as hoped.  Current version at 
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/Schema/200203/, still needs work.  Aiming 
for new draft mid-late next week.  Issue was raised whether to change 
namespace.

ACTION 2002-04-12#3, danbri: produce schedule for schema to last call, by 
next week

-- Test cases
Text of document is nearly done, ready for review next week.  Then it's a 
matter of maintaining the test cases as decisions are made.

-- Datatyping
Apart from intro, non-normative appendices, and section 4, is pretty much 
done.  Expect to be ready with core material ready for review by close of 
next Tuesday (2002-04-16).  Aim to review and approve WD publication next 
week (2002-04-19).  Looking for volunteers to write up some use-cases fropm 
specific RDF applications:
ACTION 2002-04-12#4, gk: write up datatyping use-case for CC/PP
ACTION 2002-04-12#5, aaron: write up datatyping use-case for Dublin Core

[DAML?]


10: Mime type Registration - handling feedback

Internet-draft is published now.  Aaron is tracking feedback comments.

GK notes that Ned Freed (IESG application area director) recommends 
requesting Informational RFC status.


11: Issue: rdfs-online-char-encoding

Propose:
o action Eric to update the schema file with the appropriate character 
encoding declaration
o close this issue
See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-online-char-encoding

-- Item skipped.


12: Issue: rdfs-container-membership-superProperty

Propose:
o the WG resolves to define rdfs:contains, a common superproperty of the 
containermembership properties.
o actions Danbri to add this definition to RDF schema.
See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-container-membership-superProperty

-- Item skipped.


13: Issue: rdfs-constraining-containers

Is it possible to constrain the members of a container to be of a given type?
Propose:
   o the WG resolves that expressing such a constraint is beyond the
     scope of RDFS.  Such functionality belongs with more powerful
     ontology languages such as daml+oil and owl.
   o The WG notes that DAML+OIL can express this constraint as described in:
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0106.html
   o The WG closes this issue
See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-constraining-containers
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Apr/0106.html

-- Item skipped.


14: Issue: rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property

Summary: Can an instance of the Property class have a subClassOf
property? What does this mean?
Propose the WG resolves:
   o an instance of the Property class may have an rdfs:subClassOf
     property
   o the meaning of such a property is defined by the model theory
   o this issue be closed
See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-subClassOf-a-Property

-- Item skipped.


15: Webont F2F report

RDF has been accepted as a basis for WebOnt language.  There may be 
alternative presentation syntaxes, but mappable to RDF/XML.

It seems there are two issues on RDF from WebOnt:
(a) unasserted triples, or some other mechanism
(b) closing of containers

Discussion of possible solutions to "dark triples".  Requirements not yet 
clear to us.  Unasserted triples might be related to the rdfms-assertion 
issue.  Also, want to be clear about relationship of RDFS and WebOnt (RDFS 
as base language or vocabulary toolkit?).

ACTION 2002-04-12#6, em: stimulate discussion with TBL about 
rdfms-assertion, with reference to earlier request for feedback.

ACTION 2002-04-12#7, jjc: post message to rdfcore with motivating example 
(for dark triples?)


16: daml:collection

See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-seq-representation

No decision yet from WebOnt.  Expecting something soon.


17: Issue: rdfms-contexts

See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-contexts

-- Item skipped.


18: Issue: rdf-charmod-resources

See:
   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdf-charmod-uris

-- Item skipped.

--end--



-------------------
Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>


Received on Friday, 12 April 2002 12:19:18 EDT

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Wednesday, 3 September 2003 09:47:27 EDT