Datatype Draft Comments

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:26:49 -0500
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Some comments on http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sw/rdf-datatyping.html ($Date:
2002/04/12 12:38:34 $):

[read as part of my action to provide Dublin Core examples]

The use of rdfd:Datatype as a class and rdfd:datatype as a property is
confusing. What are rdfd:Datatypes? They seem to be properties.

What are the datatype mappings called?

The example in 3.2.1 doesn't make sense. Even after I read the sentence:
"The rdfd:lex property associates a literal node object which is presumed to
be a member of the lexical space of some (possibly unspecified) datatype (a
lexical form) with a non-literal node subject denoting the single member of
the value space of the same datatype as the lexical form and which is
represented by that lexical form." several times. (Can you try simplifying
that sentence, please?)

Can you provide an example that explains what it's for? Oh, I see it's
explained below with the implicit datatype stuff. Can you rearrange things
so that they make more sense?

rdfd:lex seems redundant -- why not just use the inline idiom?

(Images from section 4 down are broken.)

Overall, you've done a nice job. I was able to get the gist of things by
just looking at the pictures and headings.

I'll put some Dublin Core-specific comments in another email.

All the best,
--
      "Aaron Swartz"      |               Swhack Weblog
 <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |   <http://blogspace.com/swhack/weblog/>