Re: subject: ACTION 2001-09-21#5 subPropertyOf cycles

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:09:13 -0500
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>  "A more formal specification of the meaning is given in the model theory"
>>  I don't recall this point being explicitly addressed by the MT;  would it
>>  be more accurate to say "... given by the model theory"?
>Fine with me.  Once again, the model theory doesn't talk explicitly
>about class cycles either, if I remember correctly.  What it does do it
>define what classes and properties (or rather, their extensions!) are
>made up of.
>Inferring what a cycle means is left as an exercise for the reader.

Right, although now we have decided that cycles are legal, it might
be helpful to insert a remark to the effect that a subClassOf cycle
(obviously :) implies that the classes in it are equal. I resisted
the temptation to do this while there was the possibility that we
might keep them illegal.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax