Re: RDFS rule 0

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:00:33 -0500
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Jos, you are basically right, thanks for catching it. I've found a
patch (detailed below) and put up a version of the document with this
fix  (and the fix to rule 9) at

http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF%20MT-rdfs-fixeddraft.html

Dan, can we can go to press with this version, or is it too late??

Pat
----------

>Pat,
>
>It's late, but are we missing
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>| 0a | xxx aaa yyy.     | xxx rdf:type rdfs:Resource.   |
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>| 0b | xxx aaa yyy.     | aaa rdf:type rdfs:Resource.   |
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>| 0c | xxx aaa yyy.     | yyy rdf:type rdfs:Resource.   |
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>or not?

Hmm. I had thought that this was all derivable, but I see that maybe it is not.

0b is, I think:
1:  xxx aaa yyy.
2:  aaa type property . (1, rule 1)
3:  property type class . (2, rule 7)
4:  property subclass Resource (3, rule 8)
5:  aaa type Resource (2, 4, rule 11)

but one can do this for the others only if you can infer that they
are in a class, and of course they may not be. If nothing is said
about classes or the range and domain of aaa (which would provide
another path using rules 5 and 6, then 7 etc., then as above) then I
think the rules would be stuck.  Damn.

>If yes, that would mean that LV is a subset of IR

They would have to be stated like rule 9b, using 'uuu' to rule out
the literal case for yyy, and then I think this would not be
required. Ah, just noticed, rule 9a should be stated NOT using uuu. I
will change that.

---

OK, heres my suggestion: expand rule 1 into 3 cases, like this:
1a

xxx aaa yyy .    -->   xxx rdf:type rdfs:Resource .

1b

xxx aaa yyy .   --->   aaa rdf:type rdf:Property .

1c

xxx aaa uuu . ---> uuu rdf:type rdfs:Resource .

where 1b is the current rule 1 of course.

OK with you?

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes