Re: Properties not predicates (was Re: PRIMER: draft data model section)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:22:15 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 06:44 PM 10/25/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>1.  abstract thing: "statement";  concrete thing:  "triple"
>>>2.  abstract thing: "triple"; concrete thing:  "triple token"
>>>(discourage use of "statement")
>>>3.  something else?
>>
>>Of these, I like 1. better and I bet it will produce more readable
>>prose, but we will have to take some care to explain the
>>distinction and not just assume that the reader knows what we mean.
>>We can always toss in the 'token' for emphasis at critical points.
>
>Just to make sure I'm still "on message" (as political spin doctors
>are required to be):
>
>- A statement is an abstract thing that has the value true or false
>in any interpretation.
>
>- A triple is a kind of token for the statement, consisting of a
>subject URIref, a property URIref and an object URIref or literal.
>
>- An arc in a tidy graph (identified by its endpoint nodes and arc
>label URI) is another kind of token for a statement.

That is my understanding, yes, though I would be happy to be slightly
vague about whether the graph terminology refers to abstract things
or concrete things most of the time.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes