Re: Properties not predicates (was Re: PRIMER: draft data model section)

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:30:35 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 06:44 PM 10/25/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>1.  abstract thing: "statement";  concrete thing:  "triple"
>>2.  abstract thing: "triple"; concrete thing:  "triple token" (discourage
>>use of "statement")
>>3.  something else?
>
>Of these, I like 1. better and I bet it will produce more readable prose,
>but we will have to take some care to explain the distinction and not just
>assume that the reader knows what we mean. We can always toss in the
>'token' for emphasis at critical points.

Just to make sure I'm still "on message" (as political spin doctors are
required to be):

- A statement is an abstract thing that has the value true or false in any
interpretation.

- A triple is a kind of token for the statement, consisting of a subject
URIref, a property URIref and an object URIref or literal.

- An arc in a tidy graph (identified by its endpoint nodes and arc label
URI) is another kind of token for a statement.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>