Re: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2001-10-26

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:03:17 +0100
To: bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com
CC: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I had a reaction against the wording ....

> 7: Propose resolution of whether graphs are sets or bags
>
> Propose the WG ACTION Pat to ensure that:
>
>    the model theory uses tidy graphs from which duplicate arcs have been removed
>
> Further the WG notes that:
>
>   o an RDF/XML document may represent an untidy graph which contains duplicate arcs
>
>   o an n-triples document may represent an untidy graph which contains duplicate arcs
>
> See:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0489.html
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0496.html

(Sorry - this sort of mailing is tedious).

Graphs for me are sets and cannot have duplicates to remove.

How about:

Propose the WG ACTION Pat to ensure that:

  the model theory uses graphs with no duplicate arcs

Further the WG notes that:

   o an RDF/XML document may contains duplicate triples

   o an n-triples document may contains duplicate triples

   o and such triples map to a single arc in a graph.

(Omitting the last point would leave Pat more wriggle room to take a
multiset view of graphs if he so chooses).

Jeremy