Re: literals must be self-evident

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:48:49 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 12:43 PM 10/17/01 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>That is: it's essential that the interpretation of
>an RDF document is a function of the document alone,
>and doesn't vary according to the contents of other
>documents.

I think I agree with the thrust here, but I'd like to clarify
something:  it may be that access to another document will provide more
detailed information about what is stated in a document (e.g. knowing the
domain/range of a property from a separate schema may allow one to make
additional inferences about resources used in an otherwise stand-alone
document).

The key requirement here seems to be that the interpretation of a document
in isolation cannot be invalidated when some external document is also
consulted.  (This seems to be a kind of monotonicity.)

Thus, I think what you are asking is that the truth under any given
interpretation of some RDF document is invariant;  consulting another
document may restrict the interpretations that are considered to be models.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>