RE: RDF draft structure (was: Schedule)

From: Bill de hOra <bdehora@interx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:13:05 +0100
To: "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Hi Aaron,

> I've not been able to get a clear definition of what
> distinguishes a schema language from an ontology language and
> all signs indicate that their the same thing. If this is true,
> I'd like not to confuse RDF users further by having to make them
> jump back and forth between the WebOnt, RDFS and DAML specs to
> get their jobs done. I'd like to have one document that explains
> it all.

IANA ontologist, but...

An ontology is a catalog of types of things and their relations. A
schema is a catalog of types and their relations. I tend to imagine
ontologies layered over schemas, but that layering isn't always clean.
So you'd use a schema to catalog abstract types (XML Schema) and an
ontology to catalog actual things (Daml Art). People seem to use the
terms interchangeably, or at least call some ontologies schemas.

regards,
Bill