Re: 2001-09-28#9 - proposal for obsoleting test cases

From: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:57:25 -0400
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, jan.grant@bris.ac.uk, brian_mcbride@hp.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:45:48PM +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> (Largely in agreement).
>
> The manifest file makes a lot of difference to this ...
>
> The manifest file should show the approved test cases only.

Speaking of the manifest stuff, it was on the Sep 28 agenda:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Sep/0409.html
 12: Discuss Test Manifest Strawman

but it was never discussed and the minutes from that meeting:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0005.html

says:
[[
 Discussion of moving test cases postponed since Jan Grant absent,
 awaiting proposal on manifest for test cases.
]]

However, it's not on the agenda for the Oct 12 meeting:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0173.html

Jan, Brian - what's up?

> Art:
> >  o Create a zip file (named latest.zip) at the top of the repo.  This
> >   zip will be updated as new TCs are added.  This zip may include
> >   TCs that have not yet been approved by the WG.
>
> Personally I would find latest.zip more useful if it did not include
> unapproved TCs.

I think it would be fine to have two zip's: latest_All.zip (everthing
including those TCs not approved] and latest_Approved.zip (only
Approved TCs).

> There is a maintenance issue here - is it realistic to update latest.zip on
> every change.

I don't think it's necessary to update the zip upon *every* change
especially given the current rate of new test cases or the rate of
approval.  A couple of times/week should be fine (perhaps automated
if I can determine how to run cron over AFS).

> As a test case user I would like to have a single URL that I go to to check
> conformance with the latest WG decisions. Obviously that can link to other
> URLs. Also a time lag is acceptable.

I'm not following you here ...