Re: big issue (2001-09-28#13)

>Dan,
>
>Good point!
>
>My next question, then, would be:  can bNodes denote literal values?
>
>(If we go down this route, I think the answer should be yes.)

Well, they can now, in fact, since the MT allows literal values to be
in IR.  For example, this is perfectly satisfiable, when aaa is a URI:

aaa  rdf:type  rdfs:Literal

and therefore so is

_:xxx  rdf:type rdfs:Literal

Pat

>#g
>--
>
>At 05:56 PM 10/1/01 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>Graham Klyne wrote:
>>[... lots of stuff that I'd have to re-read in order
>>to comment intelligently on...]
>>>  - Does it make sense for literals to have properties; e.g.
>>>     "Property string" --length--> "15"
>>>  I think any such properties would be trivial, in the sense that they always
>>>  can be determined by examination of the literal itself.  So, if prohibited,
>>>  no expressive power is lost.
>>
>>No, now that we've decided that existential quantification
>>is part of RDF, there *is* expressive power in properties
>>of literals (strings, XML content constants, ...):
>>
>>Consider:
>>
>>         <http://www.w3.org/> dc:title _:s.
>>         _:t charmod:lengthNumeral "15".
>>
>>that's true in interpretations where the/a title of
>>the W3C home page is longer than 15 chars, and
>>false in other interpretations.
>>
>>--
>>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

>Graham Klyne                    MIMEsweeper Group
>Strategic Research              <http://www.mimesweeper.com>
><Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes