Re: big issue (2001-09-28#13)

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:01:58 +0100 (BST)
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
cc: RDFCore WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Sergey Melnik wrote:

> Jan,
>
> thanks very much for the reference! I was unaware of your work. I'll
> definitely include yours and Graham's links to any summary to be
> produced on the topic.
>
> Assuming that resource constants (URIs) are atomic, your suggestion
> seems even more elegant. In this case, as you point out, both resource
> and literal constants can be generalized as (URI, unicode) entity
> constants so that a resource constant could be represented as (xsd:URI,
> "http://www.w3.org/").

Actually, I'd like to distinguish accurately the difference between a
resource (a placeholder for some "thing") that's _labelled_ (named?)
with a URI, and "the text of the URI considered as a literal". Unless
there is no difference; I'm not convinced that ought to be the case.

> I'm still wondering how important is the ability
> (or inability) to discern the namespaces of URIs. After all, the ability
> to download the schema describing a property or a datatype seems useful
> (and intended by M&S...)
>
> Sergey
>

> Jan Grant wrote:
> >
> > I've been thinking along very similar lines. See
> > http://ioctl.org/rdf/literals
> > which has a mix of related ideas, some good, some bad, some wrong.
> > Would paste in the relevant text here (apologies for not doing so) but
> > very slow line to university at the moment.
> > jan

perl -e 's?ck?t??print:perl==pants if $_="Just Another Perl Hacker\n"'