RE: DATATYPES: mental dump.

Er...yes, you could say that. But in the same sense, all subjects are
nodes, even those with uriref labels. I was presuming that
'expressible in RDF/XML' meant, using the usual conventions for
writing RDF graphs in the XML lexicalization.

With enough ingenuity, any graph structure can be *described* in XML,
of course.

>I.e., I've understood that my X proposal was quite
>similar in principle to your P++ proposal in that it
>defines urirefs and literals as just labels of nodes,
>and nodes are unique in the graph,

I am puzzled, since this is just true of all RDF graphs: urirefs and
literals ARE labels of nodes, and nodes ARE unique. Right. So what
does it mean to say that the X proposal 'defines' this to be the
case? All of RDF assumes this to be the case, surely (??)

>and one would expect
>to merge any two nodes having the same uriref label,
>but not merge two nodes having the same literal label
>(which is why there are distinct UNodes and LNodes
>in the X model)

I confess to not really understanding the X model. It seems to be a
proposal to describe RDF graphs in RDF, a kind of meta-RDF . I don't
really see what the point of doing this is, or how you would get back
to the original assertions you started with.

>Thus, in fact, P++ is expressable in RDF/XML but requires
>a means to clearly denote the node identity and the
>label.
>
>So while there may not be an "elegant" way to express
>P++ in RDF/XML, I think it is at least expressable
>according to a given idiom.

If you had said just 'expressible in XML' then yes; but RDF/XML
already is an idiom.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes