RE: DATATYPES: mental dump.

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:49:08 +0200
To: phayes@ai.uwf.edu, melnik@db.stanford.edu
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

> >The example goes a bit farther than just talking about numbers. Age,
> >weight, months etc. popped up on the list several times in
> the context
> >of datatyping, and I think it is important to clarify what exactly
> >different graphs and syntaxes try to express in each
> specific example.
> >In other words, I feel it is important to distinguish
> whether the token
> >"14" in (_Robby p:weightKg "14") denotes a string, a number,
> or a mass.
>
> Yes, i agree.

It denotes a value in a specific value space. And the value
is denoted by the pairing of lexical form to data type identity.

E.g.

  _Robby weight <unit:kg:14> .

The relation between the data type denoted by unit:kg
and its interpretation as e.g. an integer or number in
general is beyond the scope of RDF.

> Yes, I do. I think that part of my overall feeling of confusion comes
> from the fact that we don't seem to have a crisp definition of what
> constitutes a datatype or a datatyping scheme

How about the one defined by XML Schema, and also adopted by the X
proposal and 'lit:' ontology, namely a paired value space and
lexical space, the latter of which may have a canonical subset.

Patrick