Re: DATATYPES: mental dump.

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:03:55 -0600
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>thanks for a great "dump". I'm going to work it into the document almost
>completely, if you don't mind.

Sure, that's what I wrote it for.

>I'm thinking of a running example that can be used to illustrate the
>different proposals and modeling options.

Good idea.

>My current shot at it is:
>It shows an interpretation, which can be encoded in many different ways,
>e.g. as:

OK, though I think we need to be careful about having the strings in
the interpretation, since the X and P schemes probably won't have
anything denoting those.

Also, this can be described in several different ways even within a
given datatyping-syntax option, so we need to be careful not to get
confused with alternative ways of describing this structure in RDF.

>_Robby ageMonthDecimal "12"
>_Robby weightKgDecimal "14"
>_Jenny weightKgOctal   "14"
>_Jenny ageYearsDecimal "1"
>in P(++) scheme.

One possibility, though eg (In ascii-graph-art)

_Robby ---weightKg--> "14" ---rdf:type--> xsd:decimal

would be more in the P++ style, and

_Robby weightKg "14" .
weightKg rdfs:range xsd:decimal .

more in the P style.

>The advantage of starting with an interpretation instead of a piece of
>syntax is that is it possible to refer to the different entities in the
>domain of discourse directly and tell how the corresponding pieces of
>syntax are mapped onto them (for example, "12" and "1" above are
>interpreted as entity d1 in the figure).

Ah, I see. That seems rather odd to me, I confess, as it assumes that
durations are the value space of a datatyping scheme. I would have
guessed that it was more likely that numbers - the n1-3 in your
figure - would be in the literal value space, and that things like
inYears and weightKg would be rdf properties.

I guess the moral is that part of the 'model' must be what datatyping
schemes are supposed to be in use.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax