Re: DATATYPES: mental dump.

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 20:13:38 -0800
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: RDFCore WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Pat,

thanks for a great "dump". I'm going to work it into the document almost
completely, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking of a running example that can be used to illustrate the
different proposals and modeling options. My current shot at it is:

http://WWW-DB.Stanford.EDU/~melnik/rdf/datatyping/fig/motivating_example.gif

It shows an interpretation, which can be encoded in many different ways,
e.g. as:

_Robby ageMonthDecimal "12"
_Robby weightKgDecimal "14"
_Jenny weightKgOctal   "14"
_Jenny ageYearsDecimal "1"

in P(++) scheme.

The advantage of starting with an interpretation instead of a piece of
syntax is that is it possible to refer to the different entities in the
domain of discourse directly and tell how the corresponding pieces of
syntax are mapped onto them (for example, "12" and "1" above are
interpreted as entity d1 in the figure).

What do you think (Jeremy, Patrick, Brian, Graham)?

Sergey