W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org > November 2001

Minutes Nov9: closing actions, issues, inactive members, farewell ArtB,

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:25:27 -0500
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Message-Id: <62BDFCF0-D52E-11D5-AC53-003065D5CE46@aaronsw.com>
RDFCore WG Minutes for the Telecon 2001-11-09

Transcript: http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfcore/2001-11-09
     Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-
wg/2001Nov/0258

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

WG members who are not actively participating in WG business 
should contact the chairs.

Withdrew and completed many actions (see agenda for more).

RESOLVED issues: rdfs-constraint-properties-resources, 
rdfms-resource-semantics, rdf-equivalent-uris, 
rdfms-logical-formalism, rdfms-logical-terminololgy, 
rdfms-validating-embedded-rdf

1: Allocate scribe:  Aaron Swartz

2: Roll call

Participants:
    - Brian McBride (chair)
    - Art Barstow
    - Dave Beckett
    - Bill dehOra
    - Jos De Roo
    - Jan Grant
    - Graham Klyne
    - Frank Manola
    - Stephen Petschulat
    - Aaron Swartz (scribe)
    - Sergey Melnik
    - Martyn Horner
    - Pat Hayes
    - Mike Dean

Regrets: Dan Brickley, Jeremey Carroll, Dan Connolly, Ron 
Daniels, Stephen Petschulat

Absent: Eric Miller, Frank Boumphrey, Rael Dornfest, Yoshiyuki 
Kitahara, Michael Kopchenov, KWON Hyung-Jin, Ora Lassila, 
Satoshi Nakamura, Pierre G Richard, Patrick Stickler, Guha

3: Review agenda:

    No AOB


4: Next telecon - 10am Boston time, 16th Nov 2001

    Confirmed


5: Review Minutes of 2001-10-26 with corrections

See:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0581.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0582.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0595.html

APPROVED

6: Review Minutes of 2001-11-02 with corrections

See:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0036.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0043.html

APPROVED

7: Welcome Patrick Stickler

Skipped since Patrick was not present.

8: Call for WG members who are not actively participating in WG 
business to contact the chairs.

Please do so.

9: Confirm Status of Completed Actions

All ACTIONs in the agenda are COMPLETED.

10: Withdraw the following actions

ACTION: 2000-07-20#10 Eric Miller
For 2001-07-20 minutes re character-encoding issue, to write up 
his correction and  send to list.

ACTION: 2001-10-19#4 ArtB
Extract text from Jos to update Test Cases WD

WITHDRAWN

11: Propose the WG approves publication of a new testscases WD

See:
   http://www.w3.org/2001/08/rdf-test/

APPROVED
Eric Miller is Team Contact, ArtB will do what he can before he leaves.

12: Brief update on Primer status

Skipped since Eric Miller was absent.

13: Status of 2001-10-19#2 JanG  produce proposal on Entailment 
tests and test Manifest for 26/10/2001

Jan hopes to have a draft out next week, so by the 16th.

14: Datatyping status and plans

Sergey said he was working on combining contributions on the 
list, and hopes to have a rough draft by the 16th.

15: Issue rdfs-constraint-properties-resources

RESOLVED:

The current mechanism, rdfs:ConstraintResource and 
rdfs:ConstraintProperty, fails to serve its original purpose and 
should be removed from the RDF Schema 1.0 specification. The 
accompanying text be amended accordingly.

16: Issue rdfms-resource-semantics

RESOLVED:

The WG closes rdfms-resource-semantics on the grounds that the 
model theory says all that RDF is normatively going to say about 
the nature of resources. Further specification of the nature of 
resources is the work of other WG's.

Aaron will send Pat information on the URI RFC so that the Model 
Theory can reference it properly.

17: Issue rdf-equivalent-uris

RESOLVED:

Whilst the WG recognises the importance of a mechanism for 
defining equivalence of URI's, the WG has decided it does not 
fit within the scope of its current charter.  The WG notes that 
DAML+OIL has an equivalence mechanism which raises the question 
of which layer of the stack best suits such functionality.  The 
WG also notes that by allowing cycles in rdfs:subPropertyOf and 
rdfs:subClassOf RDF Schema provides a related mechanism for 
properties and classes. Consideration of this issue will be 
postponed.

18: Issue rdf-containers-otherapproaches

CONTINUED until we are finished discussing containers.

19: Issue rdfms-logical-formalism

RESOLVED:

The WG closes rdfms-logical-formalism on the grounds that the 
model theory adequately addresses this issue.

20: Issue rdfms-logical-terminololgy

RESOLVED:

The WG closes rdfms-logical-terminololgy on the grounds that the 
new terminology introduced by the model theory adequately 
addresses this issue.

21: Issue rdfms-reification-required

CONTINUED

22: Issue rdfms-validating-embedded-rdf

RESOLVED:

The WG resolves to postpone rdfms-validating-embedded-rdf for 
later consideration on the grounds that it is out of scope of 
its current charter to change the current RDF/XML syntax to the 
extent necessary to address it.

ArtB and JanG abstained.

23: Thanks and Farewell to Art

The Working Group formally thanks Art for all his hard work and 
will miss him dearly.
Art hopes to continue doing some RDF work (like the Validator) 
on the weekends.

AOB: Reification Q&A With Pat Hayes

Please see the chat logs for more on this.
Received on Friday, 9 November 2001 11:25:22 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Wednesday, 3 September 2003 09:42:35 EDT