RE: incomplete datatyping (was: Re: datatypes and MT)

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:35:38 +0000
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 05:51 PM 11/8/01 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>Am I the only person who has no idea what this
>normative/descriptive/prescriptive contrast means? As far as I am aware,
>RDF is *entirely* descriptive.

FWIW, I agree.

I can imagine one might define various notions of "schema complete" on top
of RDF, but that would not be part of RDF, just a way that some
applications may choose to use it.

(e.g. require that in a given RDF graph, require that every subject/object
have explicitly stated or deducible type information that conforms to
explicitly stated or deducible domain/range types of the properties
used.  I think that one needs to take a "closed world" view to make any
sense of such an approach.)

Another approach which I suppose *might* be regarded as prescriptive is the
way that statements act to limit the interpretations that are models.  A
datatyping scheme that acts to constrain the allowable interpretations
might in turn cause some RDF graphs to be unsatisfiable.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>