RE: heading toward datatyping telecon

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:14:56 +0000
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 12:27 PM 11/6/01 +0200, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
>Yes. The result of the query is in essence loosing the information
>needed to properly interpret the actual value. An application that
>does not know that it was defined according to a data type that
>requires hexidecimal notation, will likely interpret it (on inspection)
>as a decimal value, and thus the integrity of the knowledge is
>compromised.

Seems to me that the problem here is that "on inspection" is not a licensed
inference method.  So the problem you describe is a bug in the query
client's handling of the response.

(I don't dispute that having ways to get the appropriate datatype class
information back as part of a query response containing literals is a good
thing, but I see that as another story.)

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>