Re: datatypes and MT

At 02:20 AM 11/6/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > I think we need to nail down the handling of simpler cases before getting
> > too involved in arcane syntax options.  By simpler cases, I mean how are we
> > to interpret simple RDF like this:
> >
> >    <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
> >      <ex:shoeSize>10</ex:shoeSize>
> >    </rdf:Description>
>
>dirt simple:
>
>         <...#me> <...#shoeSize> "10".

Good.

> > and
> >
> >    <rdfs:Property rdf:about="http://example.org/shoesize">
> >      <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
> >    </rdfs:Property>
>
>You've got an inconsistency there. "10" isn't an integer.

Aha...

In which case, I think you're flying in the face of existing RDF
practice.  I, and I think many others, have certainly assumed that one can
write something like:

     <ex:subj> <ex:prop> "10" .

To express the idea (to an application that knows about the vocabulary)
that <ex:subj> has a property <ex:prop> with the integer value 10.

E.g. what you are suggesting will break aspects of CC/PP and UAProf.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>