Re: heading toward datatyping telecon

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:49:29 -0600
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>  > Still somehow that does not sit right with my intuitions.  In rdf schema I
>want
>>  to  say that the value of a property is an integer; after parsing I don't
>much
>>  care whether is was represented in decimal, binary or hieroglyphics.  rdf
>schema
>>  is about describing the data model, not the syntactic representation.
>
>Exactly. It is up to the lexical representation itself to provide
>information such as the base used in the representation. Such
>distinctions which are only relevant to representation should not
>be tied to the identity of the data type itself. "Hexidecimal encoded
>integer" is not a data type.

Ah, I think I see why we misunderstood one another. You are using
'datatype' to refer to the set of things, and I am using it to refer
to lexical-to-value mapping.

However, let me take up your point directly. We have a distinction
available between a class as an intensional object, and the set of
things in its extension.  It *is* possible to think of Hexadecimal EI
as a class in the first sense, even though it has the same extension
as, say, DEI and OEI and even BEI. If we associate datatyping
conventions (ie lexical-to-value mappings) with such classes, then
being told that a certain literal is in the class 'hexadecimal
encoded integer' may be sufficient to enable a reasoner to infer that
it should use the appropriate datatyping conventions to interpret
that literal . That is precisely the way that the proposed model
theory extension works.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes