Re: Test cases: format of input and output(uri/node/resource/entity too)

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:23:05 +0100 (BST)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>, timbl <timbl@w3.org>, RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 31 May 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Brian McBride wrote:
> >
> > Dan Connolly wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Actually, that smiley-point is well-made: this testing format
> > > shouldn't depend on all the RDF/n3 specs, code, and
> > > tutorials, which are in flux...
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > We've got terms of the form
> > >         _:name          for "anonymous" terms
> > >         <absURIref>     for URIs
> > >         "lskdjf"        for string literals.
> >
> > How would we handle relative URI's, e.g.:
> >
> >   <rdf:Description rdf:ID='foo'/>
>
> I'm proposing that they get absolutized in the expected results;
> in this case:
> 	http://example/whatever-the-base-is#foo
>
> The input to the test is an XML document, and one of the
> properties of an XML document is its base URI. (I suppose
> some tests might have syntax errors at the XML level;
> but in that case, there are no expected results anyway.)
>
> This might be somewhat tedious: if/when we move the
> tests, we have to updated the expected result; copying
> them to local disk has to be done in such a way that
> the test harness remembers where it came from; etc.
> But I think the alternatives are all worse.

let me jump in here with XML base!

- for the most part it's an ideal spec. Short, snappy, and while it says
a bit about where xml bases come from, it leaves what they do to other
documents.

It would be ideal to expect xml:base to operate under these
circumstances.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Whose kung-fu is the best?