EC logic--correction

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:30:12 -0400
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Frank Manola wrote:

> I took the specific term from John Sowa's book "Knowledge
> Representation".  His web page is
> http://www.bestweb.net/~sowa/direct/index.htm, where there is a lot of
> material on various logic-related subjects (whether he discusses EC
> logic there explicitly I don't know, but he does describe the book, and
> he talks a lot about EC logic in the book).  EC logic is just logic with
> only the existential quantifier and the "and" Boolean connector.  It's
> the subset that relational database systems support (ignoring the closed
> world assumption).  It's also the subset you're using when you make a
> bunch of Dublin Core statements about a publication.

This is what comes of working late at night after a blood donation.  I
said EC logic is "the subset that relational database systems support".
More precisely, it's the subset used to *represent* the information in
database systems, i.e., the data itself (tables, ground assertions).
Languages like SQL add additional power on top of that foundation.

--Frank