Helping WG members gain RDF Hands-on experience (was Re: RDFCore WG 2001-05-18 Teleconference Agenda)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> > 15  Helping WG members new to RDF come up to speed.
> Perhaps this is something we could do off-list, since familiarity with RDF
> was supposed to be a pre-requisite for joining the WG:
> <q cite="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCoreWGCharter">
> Working Group members will need to be familiar with the RDF Model and Syntax
> Specification, RDF Schema 1.0 Specification, and other related XML
> specifications (particularly XML Schema), and will ideally have
> implementation experience with RDF-based applications.
> </q>
> I don't think our valuable group time should be spent on this.

This was my idea. We do indeed expect WG members to be familiar with a
vast and ever growing range of technologies. As chairs we're nevertheless
aware that WG members have had varied histories; some have spent many
happy hours wrestling with RDF APIs, parsers etc., others have found
equally rewarding ways of spending their time. We wanted to take a few
minutes on the teleconference to offer some (non telecon) time to
any WG members who felt they needed some hands-on experience with current
RDF tools. My suspicion was that such an exercise could also give us
fodder for 'RDF hands-on howto' FAQ entries or similar. There was no
intention to spend more than a few words on this during the call.

Since you raise this now, let's try to do this by email with a brief
follow-on tommorrow. If there are any WG members who feel their work on
this group would be enhanced by more RDF hands-on experience, I hereby
offer to spend a little time with them (in logged IRC) going through some
of the existing RDF tools that are out there. I'd hope they would also
help turn our experiments into a document that would help others going
through the same learning curve.

That's it really. Note that we also expect WG members to be familiar with
XML Schema. I for one have to admit to not feeling fully up to speed with
various aspects of the XML Schema specification. That's life; our job is
to work around it! If anyone would like to spend some time looking at XML
Schema tools / implementations with me I'd be very interested... We can't
all read everything, but we can hopefully learn something through sharing
what we do know.