Re: A shot at http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/Overview.html#rdfms-resource-sem antics

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:56:08 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@baltimore.com>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: <fmanola@mitre.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com> wrote:

> I thought the URI spec was fairly clear that:
>
> (a) a resource is a "conceptual mapping"
>
> (b) an entity is a "bag of bits"

Actually, the URI spec says:

<q cite="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt"
         The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
         entities, not necessarily the entity which corresponds to that
         mapping at any particular instance in time.
</q>

To me that seems to indicate that an entity can be more than a bag of bits.
The HTTP spec, however, seems to use this narrower definition of a "network
entity".

<q cite="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt">
   entity
      The information transferred as the payload of a request or
      response. An entity consists of metainformation in the form of
      entity-header fields and content in the form of an entity-body, as
      described in section 7.
</q>

DanC, you may want to link these definitions into the Architecture/Terms
document for later discussions.

--
Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>|       The Info Network
  <http://www.aaronsw.com>   |     <http://theinfo.org>