Re: A shot at http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/Overview.html#rdfms-resource-sem antics

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:56:08 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@baltimore.com>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: <fmanola@mitre.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com> wrote:

> I thought the URI spec was fairly clear that:
> (a) a resource is a "conceptual mapping"
> (b) an entity is a "bag of bits"

Actually, the URI spec says:

<q cite="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt"
         The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
         entities, not necessarily the entity which corresponds to that
         mapping at any particular instance in time.

To me that seems to indicate that an entity can be more than a bag of bits.
The HTTP spec, however, seems to use this narrower definition of a "network

<q cite="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt">
      The information transferred as the payload of a request or
      response. An entity consists of metainformation in the form of
      entity-header fields and content in the form of an entity-body, as
      described in section 7.

DanC, you may want to link these definitions into the Architecture/Terms
document for later discussions.

Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>|       The Info Network
  <http://www.aaronsw.com>   |     <http://theinfo.org>
AIM: JediOfPi | ICQ: 33158237| the way you want the web to be