Re: A synthesis for #rdfms-resource-semantics

Martyn Horner wrote:

> Hurried summary before the conference call: sorry if not everyone gets
> to read their email before the meeting.
>
> Perhaps we can to draw things together on
>
> http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/Overview.html#rdfms-resource-semantics
>
> Brian and I both feel a need to get a consensus on our basic vocabulary
> and there have been enough people saying that they `know' what a
> resource is in their hearts. Perhaps most of us think the same way (with
> just a few people having to adjust in a small way).

As a participant in discussions about this set of terms for
some 10 years[1], I strongly suggest that you conduct the
discussion on the basis of test cases.

Any understanding (that you think) is established without
a basis in black-and-white test cases and/or code will
almost certainly vaporize as soon as a few new people
join the discussion, or as soon as the results of the
discussion are presented to a wider audience.

The chairs might even want to put this issue aside for
a while, until we've closed a few others, lest it
should consume all available bandwidth and produce
little in the way of results.

[1]

[[[
This is an effort to provide shared context and promote cohesive
discussion and coherent specifications.

For an informal glossary of terms, see: glossary of web terms. See also:
Outline

Currently, this is just an alphabetical index of terms, with references
documents where they are defined in different ways. The intent is to
come
up with one comprehensive, consistent terminology that specifications
will
draw from and add to (hopefully, in an automated fashion, eventually!).
I'd
also like to formalize this knowledge using something like Larch or KIF
(e.g.Formal Treatment of XML and Related Technologies .)
]]]

--        Web Architecture: Index of Terms
http://www.w3.org/Architecture/Terms
Thu, 04 May 2000 18:54:35 GMT