Re: A synthesis for #rdfms-resource-semantics

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:17:20 +0100 (BST)
To: Martyn Horner <martyn.horner@profium.com>
cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, 11 May 2001, Martyn Horner wrote:

> Thus put very blandly: URI=resource->entity
>
> Am I picking up the right messages? I suggest we base a vocabulary on a
> (better written) form of these ideas.

It may annoy philosophers, but from the POV of writing an RDF DB,
"URI=resource"* is a reasonable (or at least commonly-held) viewpoint.
The nomenclature is bound to lead to philosophical debate; it comes down
to this:

- whatever we use as identifiers in an RDFDB is conceptually mapped onto
"the real world" by some imterpretive function
- which side of the function the things we refer to as "resources" live
is unclear; in fact, it might be used colloquially to refer to "ur" or
"entity" and the meaning derived from context;
- deriving meaning from context is fuzzy and can lead to confusion.

jan

* modulo anon resources

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
User interface? I hardly know 'er!