Re: ISSUE: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:56:44 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 07:04 PM 6/26/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>>Yesterday we also activated
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-identity-anon-resources
>>
>>I think this is more of a semantic question, but it does affect the syntax
>>of n-triple.  I'd also like a volunteer to own this one.
>
>I'll volunteer to own this.

You beat me to it.

>Having reviewed the issue, the first question I have to ask is this:
>
>In the current RDF specification (that we are chartered to clarify),
>is this a purely syntactic issue, or does the "model" also allow for
>anonymous resources?

If "model" means the set-of-triples abstract graph syntax, the answer
is surely yes, in the m&s. If it means 'domain of semantic
interpretation', the concept of 'anonymous' isnt really defined, but
there would be no harm in letting nameless things be in the domain;
that would be the usual logical convention. (If you insist not, so
that everything has a name, then there is an implicit closed-world
assumption on any vocabulary, which would make RDF reasoning sharply
nonmonotonic, which is probably a mistake.)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes