RE: Draft Partitioning

From: Ron Daniel <rdaniel@interwoven.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:57:32 -0700
To: <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, <barstow@w3.org>
Cc: <aswartz@upclink.com>, <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
jos said:
> [...]
> > I think it would be a mistake to not provide a mechanism for
> > comments.
>
> we fully agree with that, so we can have
>   <a> _:b#@@check with Art
>   <c>.

Note that the grammar suggested for comments was

     comment		::= ws* '#' string eoln

where I assume ws = white space. So your example above
would not be a legal comment.
Given that '#' can appear in the URI-like thingies
RDF uses, I would be very uncomfortable allowing any
non-whitespace characters in front of it. We want software
dealing with that format to be as simple as possible.
But comments are a valuable mechanism, so some provision
should be made for them.

Regards,
Ron Daniel Jr.
Standards Architect