RE: Draft Partitioning

From: Ron Daniel <rdaniel@interwoven.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:39:11 -0700
To: "Aaron Swartz" <aswartz@upclink.com>, "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "rdf core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Aaron said:

> I'd like to point out that the Core is dependent on a large
> number of issues that have not been brought up for discussion
> yet. I'd like to put in a request that we begin focusing on some
> important model issues rather than continuing with the
> low-hanging fruit syntax ones.

Indeed. Things that need particular discussion about whether they
are in the core model are:

 xml:lang     http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-xmllang
 object type
 subject type http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-literalsubjects

The first column are things that came from David Megginson's implementation
experience with DATAX and RDFFilter[1]. Being based on such experience means
they must, IMHO, be seriously considered. I urge people to read his
brief message:
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Feb/0090.html
The second column are issues we already have that seem relevant to his

In addition, we also have issues about identifying contexts:

which seems to me to be a necessary part of the model.

I don't think these all have to be settled before we have some
draft core models to compare, but they will have to be by the time
we have a last call core model.

Various other issues point out places where our choice of core model will
have a drastic effect on allowed solutions to higher-layer problems,
and can provide sanity tests to compare alternative proposals for the
core model:

It would be nice if, before a bunch of us go off and propose different
cores, we decided on some of the requirements they must meet.