Re: Structuring the problem space

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:39:50 -0500
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 04:45  PM, Brian McBride wrote:

> If you know of a previously posted suggestion for a
> partitioning, or have
> one you'd like to propose, please can post (a pointer to) it to
> the list.

I know we're trying to structure the problems space, and not the
specs, but as an RDF developer here's how I'd imagine seeing

RDF Primer
   An introduction into RDF's view of Web Architecture as well as
the basic
   concepts of RDF with lots of examples.
     - URIs and Resources
     - XML and Namespaces
     - Overview of RDF and basic Semantic Web vision
     - Basic RDF Abstract Syntax Concepts
     - Basics of RDF/N3 and RDF/XML

RDF Abstract Syntax
   Definitions of basic RDF concepts:
     - Triple
     - Anonymity
     - etc.
   Definition of RDF's abstract syntax and base semantics.

RDF Schema
   Basic RDF concepts and their semantics:
     - Containers
     - Reification
     - Housekeeping (label, description, etc.)
     - Ontology (Property, Class
     - Datatypes, Literals, etc.

RDF/XML Syntax
   Syntax defined in a series of subsets of full syntax*:
     - Basic Syntax: Simple description and property syntax.
     - Abbreviated Basic Syntax: Add nesting and some more
advanced things.
     - Attribute Syntax: Introduces propAttrs.
     - Full Syntax: Full RDF 1.0 Syntax (and beyond?)

RDF/Notation3 Syntax
   Syntax defined in a series of subsets of full syntax*:
     - N-Triples Syntax
     - Basic N3: Includes the stable portions of N3 with clear
translations to
			  the RDF Abstract Syntax.
     - Full N3 (?): Includes all features of N3.

* Parsers should be free to only implement a certain subset of
the syntax as long as they make this clear.