Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:47:43 -0500
Cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, guha@alpiri.com, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 06:03  PM, Sergey Melnik wrote:

> To clarify, the parsers will need to explicitly flag each generated
> resource as originating from an absolute or relative URL. Do we want to
> introduce these extra "flags" as a part of the model?

I still don't understand. Why do parsers "generate" resources?
How do resources "originate" form URLs?

It is my understanding that only absolute URIs identify
resources. Relative URIs are simply abbreviations for absolute
URIs which must be resolved through use of a base URI. An RDF
document without a base URI is meaningless -- have you ever
opened up an HTML page in your browser without a URL?