Model-specific identity for anon resources, and its representation: A new issue?

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:57:41 +0100 (BST)
To: RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
In a nutshell: there is no way as far as I can tell to represent

	_:a1 <http://random.ioctl.org/#p1> _:a2 .
	_:a2 <http://random.ioctl.org/#p2> _:a1 .

in the current RDF serialisation. In other words, while we might* have
the notion that an anonymous resource has an identity wrt (the RDF graph
it is a part of), there is no way to reflect that identity except in the
most trivial acyclic cases. And not all of those, either: an acyclic
example that we can't represent is

	<http://random.ioctl.org/#feh> <http://random.ioctl.org/#p1> _:a1 .
	<http://random.ioctl.org/#yip> <http://random.ioctl.org/#p1> _:a1 .

[Initially I had thought that that was what rdf:id was for; it turns out
that it isn't]

jan

* tacitly and informally, for the moment: I've got some ideas about
formalising this (YAMT) which I won't, unfortunately, have ready by
Friday

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
The Java disclaimer: values of 'anywhere' may vary between regions.