RE: (tentative) container model proposal

From: <Ora.Lassila@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:21:29 -0500
To: guha@alpiri.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Folks,

guha wrote:
> My suggestion is to purge it from the M&S spec
> and add an appendix showing how containers
> can be implemented on top of the smaller healthier RDF.

I think I would be in favor of an approach where we have an "inner" core and
an "outer" core, but completely purging the spec seems *very* dangerous.

> What does it buy us? Makes the spec simpler, easier
> to understand, implement, ...

Yes, but it also buys potential non-interoperability, when folks start
reinventing their own ways of doing containers etc. I am not against anyone
inventing new schemes, just that there ought to be one that's "preferred" to
ensure some baseline interoperability. I do not believe that just having
triples and nothing else constitutes interoperability.

Regards,

	- Ora (wearing the pragmatist hat today)

--
Ora Lassila, mailto:ora.lassila@nokia.com, +1 (781) 993-4603
Research Fellow, Nokia Research Center / Boston