Re: A use case for anon nodes - action from telecon

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Heh, it identifies one "conceptual mapping" perhaps,

Just so.

> but that
> can map to other things. Otherwise lists wouldn't make much
> sense, now would they?

Lists? What lists don't make sense?

> > The essence of this issue seems to involve the idea that the
> > act of naming something in the internet is somehow, special.
> > That if a processor is told that something has URI ISBN-12345
> > or whatever, it had better not match that with anything that
> > it does not 'know' is named ISBN-12345.  On the other hand,
> > if a node is not named, then it can be matched with anything
> > that matches its properties.
>
> Pat Hayes has said repeatedly that one can pretty much only

I've never found "proof by repeated assertion" entirely convincing.

> infer from an existential the same things they could from a
> specific identifier.

We need to be clear which is the tail and which is the dog here.

The role of the formal model is precisely define/explain the
intended semantics of RDF.  We choose the semantics - the logicians
figure out how to express it.  Not the other way round.

> Obviously, he has studied this more than I
> have, but it seems to me that people are asking anonymous nodes
> to mean more than they really do.

I find the circularity of that argument rather beautiful.