Re: new issue from rdf-interest

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:29:49 -0500
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Oh, and to get my positions on these issues on the record:

>   <rdf:Description rdf:Description="foo"/>

Illegal.

>   <rdf:Description>
>     <rdf:Description>foo</rdf:Description>
>   </rdf:Description>

Illegal.

>   <rdf:Description>
>     <rdf:Bag>foobar</rdf:Bag>
>   </rdf:Description>

Well-formed document, but may not meet higher-level constraints.

_:anon rdf:Bag "foobar" .

>   <rdf:Description rdf:aboutEachPrefix="foo"/>
>     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
>   </rdf:Description>

As far as I know, use of aboutEachPrefix is illegal.

> Also, he is questioning our resolution of:
>
>   <rdf:_1>
>     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
>   </rdf:_1>

Well-formed document, but may not meet higher-level constraints.

_:anon rdf:type rdf:_1 .
_:anon foo:bar "foobar" .

If my resolutions seem weird, it is because I see a difference
between strictly syntactical items in the RDF namespace, and
those which appear in the model. (Syntactical items are illegal
when found out of place, model items are not.) I wish these two
groups were separated better (i.e. model ones in the schema
namespace) but I don't think it would be a good idea to modify
namespaces now. However, I do ask that in drafts we put
together, the difference between these two groups is clear.

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |              The Semantic Web
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long>