RE: The Problems with Fragments

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:10:24 -0000
To: "Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com>, "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Again, another convincing post from Aaron ...

> too? (Reading on it seems you do...) I'm speechless.

Far from it, Aaron :-).

> I recommend you read Roy Fielding's dissertation on REST, the architecture
> of the Web[2] for more, at least section 6.2, which says (in part):

I will do, before furthering this.

> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/evaluation.htm#sec_6_2

> On the other hand, RDF made many mistakes, has a low installed base, and
> we're in charge of fixing it. So I don't see any reason not to.

That's a fair point.

I am not in any hurry to change either RFC 2396 or http, but these things
are not eternal holy writ, and they will either change or be superceded;
minor deviation from them is not necessarily a disaster. It then comes to be
a value judgment whether the fragment thing is minor or not, and the extent
to which it is a deviation that can be lived with or is perhaps positively
desirable.

Jeremy