RE: XAdES TimeStamping implementation

At 09:49 30/01/2004 +0100, A. Jerman Blazic wrote:
Dear Aleksej,

See below
>Dear Juan,
>
>Thank you for useful links.
>
>As you are saying XAdES includes mechanisms which part of the message is
>time stamped, but it is still hard to understand how this can be
>performed in case we are talking about signatures as a part of the
>document structure.

Hmmm, this is a good point....In the published version of XAdES, the
presence of transformations could allow to take out of the computations
the signature.

On the other side, after the interop event, the supporting structure
of time-stamps was proposed to be changed, in order to make things
easier, and in this case, I think that for this case a solution similar for
the enveloped signature computation itself must be selected: indication
that the
signature must be taken out.

Current timestamp protocols are not capable of
>handling parts of XML structures and from the implementation point of
>view that is impossible to realize without some basic information on how
>a part of the document is extracted for the time stamping purposes.

I guess that when you talk about "protocols" you are also including the
formats of the time-stamps tokens, not only the response-request, because
I am not sure if this is an issue of the response-request, but of the
information that accompanies the time-stamp inserted within the document.
The companion information to the time-stamp should solve the problem...
how easily this is done, is another issue

>imagine the most obvious way to define XML TimeStamp,
but how far are we
>form the actual standardization?
Some proposals are quite impressive,
>but so far I see operability of XAdES concerning timestamps problematic.
>If anyone can give more information on how to get closer to designing
>stages (if there are formal one??) it would be more than welcome.

I propose you the following: if you want I can send you the interop XAdES
event
final report pointing you directly to the time-stamp issues so that we can
comment
with more details... perhaps we even could be more specific disscussing
examples...

Juan Carlos