how to calculate DigestValue

From: Thomas Braun <ThoBr@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:58:01 +0100
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Hello,

I'm trying to familiarize myself with xml-signatures.
When I try to reproduce the DigestValue of some examples I found, I never get a satisfying result.
If I have understood the procedure of getting the digestvalue well, the things to do are:
- generate sha1-hash of the referenced object
- transform hash to base64

All DigestValue-examples I've seen yet, have a base64 code-length of 28 chars.
But when I transform a sha1-hash into base64, the result has always a length of 56 chars.

So I guess I'm lapsing something fundamental...

Thanks a lot,

Thomas