X.509 certificate

From: Joseph Swaminathan <jswamina@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:56:49 -0800
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

    One of the advantage of XMLDSIG over PKCS, I read,
is the textual format instead of binary ASN.1 format.
But when it comes to certificates, it is still X.509
certificate which is in binary format. So for a box
to support XMLDSIG, it needs to have both XML parser
as well as ASN.1 parser isnt' it.

    I understand using XKMS this validation can be
ofloaded to a key management system. But if a box
has to do all the validation itself, then does it
require both XML & ASN.1 parser to validate
certificates isnt it.

thanks
Joseph